Weekly update: 26 September 2016

The weekly updates have been sorely lacking lately. It’s been a busy period, and the main driver has been getting settled in to a new location - London. Move to London Over the last few weeks I’ve been organising a move to London with my girlfriend. Getting the place in Leeds rented, finding a place in London, settling all the fees, packing and finally moving has been pretty time consuming. »

Weekly update: 31 July 2016

The past few weeks have gone by quickly. dayJob is staying steady and side project development is picking up really nicely. Banking project Over the past while I’ve put more thought into the project and how to take it forward. These sessions are pretty important, I’m trying to weigh the place in the market and how this project could have the best impact. This is for everything from deployment to functionality. »

Weekly update: 11 July 2016

I’m finally starting to settle into staying in another country. Leeds is a pretty great city and I’m in love with the most awesome running route. Still getting used to it being light at 22:00 though. Bank project Slow and steady has been the name of the game here. I’ve been researching a few issues around the implementation of a distributed model. I’ve also been in touch with a few people in the banking sector who will undoubtedly bring some great insight to the project. »

Weekly update: 30 June 2016

A big focus of the past two weeks has been on the banking project, if for nothing else than to keep momentum. As it turns out, keeping momentum has led to continued and valuable development. Bank project There are two things happening on the banking project right now. The first is tightening up the project and working around the unknowns, which at this stage are the integration. I’ve relegated those to the endpoints so other development can take place. »

Weekly update: 16 June 2016

Over the past two weeks I’ve delved deeper into the banking project, played around with electronics and gone trail running. dayJob is returning to some normalcy and I’m liking it. Having a routine when there is a distributed team is super important, and after setting out a guide we are finally back on a decent track. Really looking forward to tackling some of the harder problems. Banking project I’ve spent a lot of time looking into two things reagrding the banking project: »

Weekly update: 31 May 2016

Once again, I am back to the weekly updates. Getting into a routine really helps with everything, and being settled adds to the routine. All men by nature desire knowledge Security I’ve fallen back in love with security. My involvement in the security industry through my formal employment has been great, but has not touched on the security aspects I’ve loved for years. Over the past week, I decided to set up a VPN to a server I have to make sure communication is secure. »

Weekly update: 18 April 2016

I missed last week’s update so this will be a double entry. Banking Project I made good progress on some of the technical issues on the banking project. This was mainly in the following: Shared database connection throughout the app Using decimals instead of float64 Writing benchmarks Hooking into Travis for continuous integration You can read more in this post. Additionally, I rewrote the entire mobile application using React Native. »

Weekly update: 4 April 2016

The last week was largely spent travelling and adjusting to another time zone. Some good work has been done on the banking project and a path laid. Banking Project I’ve decided to take a small step back and draw up an ideal architecture for the bank. Over the weekend I drew up exactly what I would like the bank to do in the first two years. This functionality included: »

Weekly update: 28 March 2016

This past week has been more eventful than others. A lot of amazing opportunity has been opened up, and big progress made towards some overarching goals. South Africa I am coming back to South Africa this week. It’s been three or so months since I’ve been home, and I’m looking forward to seeing friends and family. The work this side has been amazing, so I am looking forward to keeping on the same track while I am down there. »

Weekly update - 20 March 2016

The past two and a half or so weeks have been really productive, especially with the banking project. Bank Errors and tests The bank project underwent a fairly substantial rewrite to add proper error handling throughout, as well as write tests for all the relevant packages. It was a fantastic learning experience and the project is in a much better state for it. You can read more about the rewrite here. »